One of the best ways to energize people is to engage them in fun. Laughing
helps arteries and boosts blood flow "Laughing appears
to be almost as beneficial as a workout in boosting the health of blood vessels,
a new study suggests." So go visit Bernie
DeKoven's FunLog, Dr. Fun and learn something new about
Afterwards, check out the Joy at Work by Dennis
W. Bakke. Written by co-founder Dennis W. Bakke, Joy
at Work tells the story of AES, a global electricity giant organized on principles
of social responsibility and fun. AES is structured around small teams with
almost no functional departments, while those at headquarters act as advisers,
accountability officers, and guardians of the principles. Joy at Work offers
a model for other companies to successfully adopt such a system.
Bakke's Top Ten:
- When given the opportunity to use our ability to reason, make decisions,
and take responsibility for our actions, we experience joy at work.
- The purpose of business is not to maximize profits for shareholders but
to steward our resources to serve the world in an economically sustainable
- Attempt to create the most fun workplace in the history of the world.
- Eliminate management, organization charts, job descriptions, and hourly
- Fairness means treating everybody differently.
- Principles and values must guide all decisions.
- Put other stakeholders (shareholders, customers, suppliers, etc) equal to
or above yourself.
- Everyone must get advice before making a decision. If you don’t seek
advice, “you’re fired.”
- A “good” decision should make all the stakeholders unhappy because
no individual or group got all they wanted.
- Lead with passion, humility, and love.
Put all this together and creativity, learning, and innovation flourish.find a meeting place drupal website application development community software applications communities orchestrating resources health work fun innovate stress social responsibility