Terrorism, the Internet and Democracy from Dan
Gillmor is tireless in his efforts to save the world. Truly,
one guy making a difference and a mighty contribution in more ways than one
that I can only describe as WOW.
The Infrastructure of Democracy
Strengthening the Open Internet for a Safer World
I. The Internet is a foundation of democratic society
in the 21st century, because the core values of the Internet and democracy are
so closely aligned.
- The Internet is fundamentally about openness, participation, and freedom
of expression for all -- increasing the diversity and reach of information
- The Internet allows people to communicate and collaborate across borders
and belief systems.
- The Internet unites families and cultures in diaspora; it connects people,
helping them to form civil societies.
- The Internet can foster economic development by connecting people to information
- The Internet introduces new ideas and views to those who may be isolated
and prone to political violence.
- The Internet is neither above nor below the law. The same legal principles
that apply in the physical world also apply to human activities conducted
over the Internet.
II. Decentralized systems -- the power of many -- can combat decentralized
Way to go Dan!